This pilot study evaluates the use of a mobile application to improve weight loss in obese
stroke patients. The investigators hypothesize that acute stroke patients who use the mobile
application are more likely to achieve a minimum 5% weight reduction during the critical six
months post-stroke, yielding considerable improvement in stroke risk factors.
1. Ischemic or hemorrhagic stroke.
2. Age 18-85 years.
3. African-American or Hispanic.
4. Modified Rankin Scale (mRS) of 0-3.
5. Body Mass Index greater than 30 kg/m2.
6. Currently taking prescription medication for diabetes mellitus, hypertension or
7. Willing to follow a healthy eating pattern and NOT use weight loss medications for
the duration of the study.
8. Personal ownership or caregiver ownership of a personal computer, SmartPhone or other
SmartDevice (iPhone or Android platform) with Internet access.
9. If patient has alexia, agraphia, acalculia, dementia or blindness - caregiver must be
willing to complete the intervention.
1. Pre-existing disability with mRS > 4.
2. Contraindications to weight loss (planning to become pregnant, history of an eating
3. Steroid use for suspected vasculitis.
4. Current or recent (past 6 months) participation in a weight loss program or use of
weight loss medication.