The goal of the study is to see if the addition of a carbohydrate- and protein-enhanced gel
during labor speeds labor and reduces the rate of cesarean delivery.
Patients will be randomized to placebo or experimental arm of study. In the placebo arm,
patients will receive standard clear liquid diet, which includes ginger ale, variety of
fruit juices, and plain soup broth. The experimental arm will receive the standard clear
liquid diet, and in addition will receive Accel Gel every 3 hours while in labor.
- Nulliparity (first baby)
- Admission with the intent to deliver vaginally
- Gestational age >36 weeks
- Age ≥ 18
- Planned cesarean delivery
- Renal Disease
- Diabetes (Pre-gestational or Gestational)
- Allergy to any component of sports drink
- NPO diet by physician