This randomized controlled trial will evaluate patterns of use and health outcomes of the
ShapeUp Empower online program with and without financial incentives for program engagement.
- Age 18-70 years
- Body mass index (BMI) between 25 and 45 kg/m2
- English speaking
- Have access to the Internet via a computer and smartphone compatible with Empower and
Commercial Apps, and basic knowledge of how to use this technology.
- Agree to sharing of data entered in the Empower and Commercial Apps intervention
- Report health problems that make weight loss or unsupervised exercise unsafe or
- Report a heart condition, chest pain during periods of activity or rest, or loss of
consciousness on the Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaire
- Are currently pregnant or breastfeeding, or intend to become pregnant in the next 12
- Are planning to move outside of the greater Providence area within the next 12 months
- Report any cognitive or physical limitations that preclude use of a personal computer
- Have participated in a study conducted by the WCDRC in the past 2 years
- Have followed a commercial weight-loss program within the previous 6 months or who
are currently following a commercial weight loss program
- Weight loss of ≥ 5% of initial body weight in the last 6 months
- History of clinically diagnosed eating disorder excluding Binge Eating Disorder.
- Previous surgical procedure for weight loss
- Currently taking weight loss medication\
- Treatment of cancer within the last 6 months
- Have any medical or psychological condition, or life situation, that would make
participation in a weight loss program inadvisable in the opinion of the principal