The purpose of this study is to evaluate if Tracheal Traction Exercises (TTE) performed prior
to anterior cervical spine surgery can result in a decreased rate of dysphagia.
- Elective Anterior cervical spine surgery (C2-C7) for degenerative disc disease or
- More than four levels of fusion
- Trauma or urgent cases of anterior cervical spine surgery
- Prior anterior cervical spine surgery (a known risk factor for dysphagia),
- Prior neck surgery (eg. Thyroidectomy)
- Neurological disorders that can predispose to dysphagia such as Parkinson's,
Cerebrovascular Accidents (CVA), Alzheimer's and Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis.