The purpose of this study is to conduct a pilot randomized controlled trial, to determine
whether providing financial incentives for meeting daily step goals (a) increases the daily
step counts of participants, (b) increases compliance with the overall program (including
diet recommendations), and (c) increases weight loss.
- required to be able to read.
- required to have access to a computer.
- required to have a body mass index between 27 and 45 kg.m-2.
- required to take fewer than 7,000 steps per day at baseline (as determined by a
pedometer, averaged across 4-7 days).
- Individuals who report having an injury or physical limitation that renders them
unable to walk ¼ mile without difficulty.
- Uncontrolled cardiovascular or metabolic condition determined by health history