For the target population of adult patients following primary total hip arthroplasty, the
randomized clinical trial will be used to evaluate the efficacy of the use of a mobile
negative pressure wound therapy(NPWT) device compared to a standard absorptive dressing in
the immediate postoperative period. We will apply two dressing types and evaluate the
postoperative wounds with a wound scoring system (ASEPSIS) that incorporates multiple
variables of wound infection risk.
- Adult patients undergoing primary total hip arthroplasty.
- age less than 18 y/o
- Total hip arthroplasty for fracture
- Revision or conversion total hip arthroplasty
- inability to personally consent to participation due to cognitive impairment,
intoxication or sedation
- multiple surgical procedures
- Patients taking immune modulating medication(prednisone, methotrexate, anakinra,
- skin hypersensitivity to acrylic adhesive or silver.
- Inability to care for dressing due to physical or mental incapacitation