The primary aim of this study is to examine the feasibility of implementing an evidence
based patient engagement strategy, known as personalized health planning (PHP), in the
context of a a shared medical appointment (SMA) for individuals with type II diabetes in a
primary care setting.
All data for the prospective portion of this study was done being collected in September
2016. The retrospective chart review will collect data up until March of 2017 (six months
after the last subject completed the prospective phase by attending their last SMA session).
- A diagnosis of Type 2 diabetes within the last year
- A current patient at Duke Family Medicine.
- An A1C score greater than 7 and less than 14.
- A diagnosis of Pre-diabetes
- A diagnosis of Type I diabetes
- Individuals with amputations as a result of their diabetes are excluded form this
- Individuals with renal dialysis will not be included in this study.