This is a randomized, crossover design trial that will compare how anodal transcranial
direct current stimulation (tDCS) versus sham tDCS administered during multiple sessions of
scripting therapy affects the acquisition and retention of trained scripts.
1. Age over 21 years
2. Ischemic left hemispheric stroke verified by imaging (CT or MRI) greater than 6
3. Residual non-fluent or anomic aphasia, with Western Aphasia Battery-Revised Aphasia
Quotient score <60
4. Fluent English speaker prior to stroke
5. Right-handed prior to stroke
6. Ability to give informed consent and understand the tasks involved.
1. History of recurrent stroke, either ischemic or hemorrhagic, in the left middle
cerebral artery territory
2. Imaging unavailable
3. Large middle cerebral artery infarct involving entire inferior division
4. History of dementia prior to the stroke
5. History of seizure, prior electroconvulsive therapy, deep brain stimulators, or brain
6. Social and/or personal circumstances that interfere with ability to return for
therapy and assessment sessions.