The purpose of this retrospective, non-interventional sutdy is to compare the effectiveness
of ICS/LABA combination therapy in the reduction of COPD exacerbations during the 12 months
after initiation of therapy between COPD patients who are adherent to the index medication
and those who are non-adherent.
This retrospective, observational study will assess the effectiveness of ICS/LABA
combination therapies among COPD patients new to the ICS/LABA combination therapies in the
US, comparing those who are adherent to the index medication and those who are non-adherent.
Adherence will be measured using the proportion of days covered with the index medication.
Medical and pharmacy claims data will be used as the data source.
- at least one prescription fill for ICS/LABA combination during identification period.
- COPD diagnosis
- 40 years or older at index date
- > or = 12 months of continuous health plan enrollment prior to and following index
- 1 or more prescription for SABA, SAMA or SABA/SAMA during the pre-index period.
- Patients with prescription claim for ICS/LABA combination therapy during the 12 month
- Patients receiving oral corticosteroid medication for more than 180 days during the
12 month pre-index period
- Patients with cancer diagnosis in 12 month pre-index period