This pilot clinical trial studies fluorine (F)-18 16 alpha-fluoroestradiol (18F-FES) positron
emission tomography (PET)/computed tomography (CT) in imaging patients with desmoid tumors.
18F-FES binds to estrogen receptors, which are present on desmoid tumors, and gives off
radiation that may be detected by PET and CT scans. The PET/CT scan forms an image that may
show where tumor cells with estrogen receptors can be found in the body.
I. Establish the avidity of desmoid tumors on 18F-FES PET/CT imaging. II. Correlate 18F-FES
PET avidity with degree of estrogen receptor (ER) expression by immunohistochemistry (IHC).
Patients undergo 18F-FES PET/CT imaging over 30 minutes.
After completion of study, patients are followed up for 30 days.
- Patients with biopsy-proven extra-abdominal desmoid tumors
- Not currently on estrogen medication for birth control, menopause, or other reason
- No anti-estrogen therapy for desmoid tumor within the past 6 months
- Both sporadic desmoid tumors and those associated with familial adenomatous polyposis
(FAP) syndromes will be included
- Pregnancy or nursing patients
- Patients who do not wish to participate