This is a clinical study comparing targeted levothyroxine dosing based on thyroid anatomy as
visualized on ultrasound (normal vs. ectopic/sublingual vs. athyreosis) to empiric
levothyroxine dosing in infants with congenital hypothyroidism. Patients enrolled in the
study for targeted dosing will be compared to controls obtained by retrospective chart
review. The main outcome is to determine if there is a difference in the frequency of
over-treatment and under-treatment during the first 6 months of therapy.
- Newborns diagnosed with congenital hypothyroidism (CH).
- Newborns with CH who are treated by a pediatric endocrinologist at Riley Hospital for
Children or satellite location.
- Newborns with CH who have thyroid imaging performed (thyroid ultrasound or technetium
scan) at diagnosis.
- Newborns who do not have CH.
- Newborns with CH who have not had thyroid imaging performed at diagnosis.