This is a prospective non-blinded case series involving the acquisition of a pair production
PET/CT as soon as possible after an already performed Y-90 Sirspheres treatment of hepatic
malignancy. It will be performed in addition to the standard Brehmsstrahlung SPECT scan. The
sequence of the two scans in each case (PET/CT vs SPECT) will be determined by availability
of the scanners at the time. However, it is intended that both be acquired on the day of the
The length of subject participation will be one year.
The measures used will be mostly qualitative in nature, and will include:
- Correlation with expected vs. achieved tumor coverage by the treatment
- Correlation between treatment distribution depicted by Brehmsstrahlung scans vs. the
Internal Pair Production PET/CT scans, to.
- Detection of non-target embolization, where applicable, and qualitative comparison
between the two modalities as to the conspicuity of the abnormality
Qualitative methods will be used by the analysis of the obtained PET/CT images and comparing
them to the Brehmsstrahlung SPECT images as previously described.
- Recipient of Selective Internal Radiation Treatment within 5 days.
- Anticipated ability to remain still for up to 40 minutes
- Anticipated Inability to lie still for up to 40 minutes
- Severe claustrophobia
- Significant cardiovascular instability, or instability of other medical/surgical
conditions, such that it would be deemed unsafe or technically not feasible to obtain
a PET/CT, as determined by the any member of the investigative team
- Failed deployment of the planned Y-90 treatment for any reason
- Duration of time longer than 5 days since administration of the Y-90 treatment
- Age <18
- Known pregnancy