The purpose of this study is to investigate the effect of canagliflozin, a medication
approved by the FDA for the treatment of type 2 diabetes, on body weight and metabolism in
people with type 2 diabetes who are overweight or obese.
Canagliflozin lowers glucose levels in the blood by making the kidneys excrete, rather than
absorb, glucose. Canagliflozin is also often associated with weight loss.
The study population will generally be type 2 diabetics, ages 18-75 years old, who are
overweight or obese.
1. Type 2 diabetes
2. BMI 25-45 kg/m2
3. Hemoglobin A1C > 6.5% but < 9%
4. Normal renal function (GFR > 60)
5. Age 18-75
1. Type 1 diabetes
2. History of recurrent UTI or mycotic genital infections
3. Treatment with insulin or a GLP1 agent
4. Pregnant or breastfeeding