The proposed study is a randomized controlled trial that compares the effectiveness of an
electronic personalized health screening app incorporating motivational feedback (i.e.,
"Check Yourself") to usual care. The purpose of this study is to determine whether Check
Yourself is more effective than usual care in reducing health risk behaviors and improving
quality of care among adolescents receiving primary health care services.
- Eligible individuals will be 13-18 years old who have an appointment to see a
provider at a participating clinic and will be able to read and comprehend English.
- Individuals will be excluded from the study if:
- they do not meet age requirements,
- do not have an appointment at a participating clinic,
- lack the means to complete follow-up interviews (i.e., has neither telephone not
- have a sibling who has/is being enrolled in the study and/or
- are not able to read or comprehend English.