MPO is conducting this PMCF study to evaluate the safety and efficacy of its EVOLUTION® Total
Knee Arthroplasty (TKA) components marketed in the EU. These types of studies are required by
regulatory authorities for all devices that do not have medium to long-term clinical evidence
available at the time of gaining approval to market in the EU. This study has been designed
in accordance with MEDDEV 2.12/2 rev 2.
MicroPort Orthopedics Inc. (MPO) currently markets the EVOLUTION® TKA System globally,
including in the European Union (EU). As part of the process for gaining approval to market
in the EU, MicroPort is conducting this post market clinical follow-up (PMCF) study to
evaluate the safety and efficacy of this system. These types of studies are required by
regulatory authorities for all TKA devices that do not have medium to long-term clinical
evidence available at the time of gaining approval to market in the EU. The objectives of
this study are to evaluate component survivorship, cumulative revision rate, functional
outcome scores, and subject satisfaction at early, midterm, and long-term follow-up.
To be included in the study, subjects must meet all of the following criteria:
- Has previously undergone primary TKA for any of the following:
- non-inflammatory degenerative joint disease including osteoarthritis, traumatic
arthritis, or avascular necrosis;
- inflammatory degenerative joint disease including rheumatoid arthritis
- correction of functional deformity.
- Subject was implanted with the specified combination of components
- Subject is willing and able to complete required study visits and assessments
- Subject plans to be available through the 10 year postoperative follow-up visit
- Subject is willing to sign the approved Informed Consent document
- Subject must be at least 2 years post TKA prior to informed consent.
Previously implanted bilateral subjects can have both TKAs enrolled in the study provided:
1) the specified combination of components were implanted in both, 2) all other aspects of
the Inclusion/Exclusion Criteria are satisfied, 3) enrollment does not exceed the subject
count specified in the Clinical Trial Agreement, and 4) the subject agrees to a second
Informed Consent document specific to the second TKA. Prospective enrollment of a
previously unimplanted knee is not permitted in this study.
Subjects will be excluded if they meet any of the following criteria:
- Subject was skeletally immature (less than 21 years of age) at time of implantation
- Subject is currently enrolled in another clinical investigation
- Subject is unwilling or unable to sign the Informed Consent document
- Subject has documented substance abuse issues
- Subject has an emotional or neurological condition that would pre-empt their ability
or willingness to participate in the study
- Subject has a body mass index (BMI) of greater than 40
- Subject is currently incarcerated or has impending incarceration