The absorption kinetics of polyphenols in angel's plant (Angelica keiskei), which is a dark
green leafy vegetable rich in antioxidant nutrients, will be determined in older adults in
this pilot study.
- Healthy subjects (>60 yr, n=5)
- subjects with metabolic syndrome (>60 yr, n=5)
- Subjects who has
- high fasting plasma glucose (>5.6 mmol/L),
- central obesity (waist-hip ratio, >0.9 for men, >0.85 for women)
- either high blood pressure (>130/85 mmHg) or high triacylglycerol (>1.7 mmol/L)
will be selected to have metabolic syndrome.
- normal hematological parameters, normal serum albumin, normal liver function, and
normal kidney function
- no history of smoking or alcoholism.
- consume >7 alcoholic drinks/wk
- taking cholesterol medication or hormone replacement