The primary purpose of this research study is to evaluate the safety and tolerability of
raltegravir 400 mg taken twice a day compared to an NRTI (nucleotide reverse transcriptase
inhibitor) backbone, each with a PI (protease inhibitor) boosted with ritonavir based
medication regimen, in HIV-1 positive patients. NRTI and PI are two of the categories of
medications currently being used to treat HIV.
- documented HIV RNA <75 copies/mL
- no history of documented coronary artery disease
- Subject with Hepatitis C co-infection may be enrolled provided the subjects are
stable and meet all eligibility criteria.
- no clinical evidence of active pulmonary disease
- agrees to use an acceptable method of birth control throughout the study.
- currently failing a boosted PI based regimen.
- receiving a second line boosted PI regimen including boosted tipranavir or boosted
- chronic hepatitis B infection.