The ICAN Pilot project aims to evaluate the differences in economic, clinical and quality of
life outcomes of a nutrition intervention involving lifestyle case management and medical
nutrition therapy by a registered dietitian compared to usual medical care in obese persons
with type 2 diabetes. The intervention is aimed at moderate weight loss (> 5-10%),
improvement in diet quality and an increase in physical activity.
- BMI > 30 kg/m2, calculated from measured weight and height.
- Type 2 diabetics on medication for their diabetes.
- Age 20 -60 years of age.
- Have phone.
- Fluency in reading, writing and comprehension of English
- Have Qualchoice as their primary health insurer.
- Depression, BDI score > 20