This is a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multiple-dose, dose-escalating study
to evaluate the safety, tolerability, pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of ACE-011 in
healthy postmenopausal women.
1. Subject is a postmenopausal woman, 45-85 years old (inclusive).
2. Subject has had 12 months of spontaneous amenorrhea, OR 6 months of spontaneous
amenorrhea with serum follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) levels >40 IU/L OR is 6
weeks postsurgical bilateral oophorectomy with or without hysterectomy.
3. Subject is taking at least 500 mg of calcium supplement and 400 IU of vitamin D daily
and has been following this regimen for at least 4 weeks prior to the first dose of
study drug administration.
4. Subject has a body mass index (BMI) of ≥ 18.5 to < 30.
5. Subject must give written informed consent. If required by local law, candidates must
also authorize the release and use of protected health information (PHI).
1. Subject has a history of clinically significant major disease (as determined by the
2. Subject has a history of hyperparathyroidism, hypoparathyroidism, hypocalcemia,
rheumatoid arthritis, myeloproliferative disorder, gout, Paget's disease of the bone,
3. Subject has had a long bone fracture within the past 6 months prior to enrollment, or
an osteoporosis-related fracture within the previous 2 years.
4. Subject has a history of opportunistic infection, or has had a serious local or
systemic infection within 3 months prior to screening.
5. Subject has a history of severe allergic or anaphylactic reactions.
6. Subject had major surgery within the previous 3 months.
7. Subject has a history of drug or alcohol abuse, or tests positive in a drug and
alcohol screen at screening or on Day 1 prior to dosing.
8. Subject consumed any alcohol within 72 hours prior to dosing.
9. Subject gave a blood donation (one unit or more) within 1 month prior to dosing, or
plans to give a blood donation during the course of the study.
10. Subject has taken any of the following bone active medications:
- Teriparatide at any time in their lifetime.
- Fluoride therapy for more than 3 months during the previous 2 years.
- Estrogen, androgen, anabolic steroids, corticosteroids (excluding inhaled,
topical or local injections for joint pain), calcitonin, or other bone active
drugs (e.g. selective estrogen receptor modulators) within the 4 months prior to
- If treated for more than 6 months at any time in their lifetime.
- If treated for 3 to 6 months within 2 years of screening.
- If treated for less than 3 months within 6 months of screening.
11. Subjects with chronic stable diseases including migraines, hypertension, hyperthyroid
disorder, hypothyroid disorder, gastroesophageal reflux disease, or mild
depression/anxiety will be excluded unless the investigator does not have safety or
compliance concerns at study entry.