The purpose of this research study is to measure adherence to the study drug (Carac) for the
treatment of actinic keratoses.
The purpose of this research study is to measure adherence to the study drug for the
treatment of actinic keratoses. The study drug is 5-Fluorouracil (Carac®); it will be used in
this study to treat actinic keratoses on the face and anterior scalp. This proposed study
will evaluate adherence to topical Carac® in 20 adults age 50 or greater with actinic
keratoses from a clinic population. Adherence data will be collected by the MEMS cap
(Medication Event Monitoring System
- Any male or female 50 years of age or older with moderate to severe actinic keratoses
of the face and anterior scalp diagnosed by a dermatologist will be eligible for
- Age less than 50.
- Known allergy or sensitivity to topical Carac® in the subject.
- Inability to complete all study-related visits.
- Introduction of any other prescription medication, topical or systemic, for actinic
keratosis while participating in the study.
- Subjects should not receive surgical or cryotherapy while participating in the study.
- Pregnant women, women who are breast feeding, or women of child bearing potential who
are not practicing two acceptable methods of birth control