The purpose of this study is to to compare the effects of high-dose Inhaled Corticosteroids
(ICS) vs. placebo in adults with chronic stable asthma.
- Physician diagnosis of asthma.
- Age ≥18 years and ≤50 years
- Evidence of airflow obstruction as measured by spirometry and flow-volume loop per
American Thoracic Society guidelines.
- Treatment for asthma with:
- daily inhaled corticosteroids and long-acting beta2-agonists, AND
- as-needed use of a short-acting beta2-agonist
- History of >10 pack-year tobacco use
- Other pulmonary or cardiac diagnosis that is actively being treated
- History of adverse events or allergy to fluticasone
- Systemic corticosteroid therapy within 7 days of study visit
- Inability to obtain written informed consent