The purpose of this research study is to see if a specific protein that we are interested in
is involved in scarring hair loss. If these proteins are involved, further genetic work may
also better define the disease as well as future treatment options.
This is a single-center study, designed to evaluate the expression of Fas protein in skin
biopsies of patients with scarring alopecia including fourteen patients with central
centrifugal scarring alopecia (CCSA), three patients with lichen planopilaris (LP) and three
patients with discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE). Skin biopsies of five healthy participants
will be used as controls.
- Participants ages 30 years or older with a biopsy- proven diagnosis of CCSA.
- Undergone standard of care treatment for CCSA by a WFUSM Dermatologist
- Women of child bearing age will be required to have a negative pregnancy test in order
to participate in the study
- Participants ages 30 years or older with a biopsy- proven diagnosis of LP.
- Participants ages 30 years or older with a biopsy- proven diagnosis of DLE.
- Healthy participants must be ages 30 years or older.
- Age less than 30 years of age.
- Clinically evident bacterial or viral infection of the scalp.
- Pregnant or nursing woman of child-bearing potential.
- Participation in any other investigative research study involving study medication.
- Inability to return for the biopsy visit.