A 3-way cross-over trial of two weeks of treatment with three drug conditions. AZD3480 will
be given in doses of (A) 5mg/day, (B) 50 mg/day and (C) placebo to 24 non-smoking adults
with DSM-IV confirmed ADHD. Three week washout between each treatment period. CYP2D6
genotyping will be completed at screening and slow metabolisers will be excluded from
participation in this study. Cognitive, ADHD symptom, safety and pharmacokinetic (PK)
assessments will be made during each treatment period. Safety and tolerability assessments
will be a major component of the trial and all serious adverse events (SAE) will be
immediately (within 24 hours) reported to both Targacept and to AstraZenca.
- Confirmed diagnosis of DSM-IV ADHD
- Score of equal or more than 2 on at least six of nine items in at least one of the
subscales of the Connor´s Adult ADHD Rating Scale (CAARS-INV)
- Score of equal or more than 4 (at least moderate severity) on the Clinical Global
Impressions-Severity (CGI-S) test
- Current DSM-IV Axis I psychiatric disorder (other than ADHD)
- Current user of cigarettes or other nicotine-containing product.
- Slow metabolizers as indicated by CYP2D6 genotyping.
- Use of drugs affecting cognitive function within 8 weeks prior to enrollment visit or
intended use during the study.