To compare patient satisfaction and anxiety scores between female subjects undergoing
urinary incontinence and/or pelvic reconstructive surgery who are instructed preoperatively
in the technique of clean intermittent self-catheterization (CISC) by means of an
instructional video and those who do not receive specific preoperative instruction in CISC,
other than basic informed consent regarding risks of postoperative urinary retention.
- Enrollment will be offered to all women undergoing pelvic reconstructive and/or
urinary incontinence surgery by the DIvision of Urogynecology, Department of
Obstetrics and Gynecology at Magee Womens Hospital.
- Subjects who have performed CISC in the past will be excluded.
- Subjects whose score on the MMSE reflects dementia (<24) will be excluded.
- Subjects anticipated to have placement of a suprapubic catheter placement at the time
of surgery will be excluded.
- Subjects deemed by the enrolling physician to be incapable of physically performing
self-catheterization will be excluded.