Obesity is increasing at an alarming rate in patients with schizophrenia, possibly in
association with the increased use of atypical antipsychotics. In order to address the
weight and metabolic syndrome issues, Manhattan Psychiatric Center (MPC) has implemented the
Solutions for Wellness and Team Solutions Program. This program is designed to create a
supportive, educational and monitoring environment to stabilize both the psychiatric and
medical conditions and to prepare patients for independent management of their psychiatric
and physical health condition in the community.
The present program is divided into five detailed segments with three progressive levels,
that provide a manualized lesson-by-lesson curriculum for implementation on the treatment
- Medication Education
- Symptom recognition and management
- Living Healthy
- Interpersonal Skills
- Discharge Preparation
The program comprised of detailed instructor and patient manuals, specific curriculums and
pre- and post-tests to determine acquisition of the learned materials. All modules are
imbedded in weekly small group sessions.
- Each of the 5 modules are discussed in groups in weekly morning or afternoon session,
Monday through Friday.
- Each module is divided into three 12-week periods for a total of 36 sessions.
- Upon completing 12 weeks at Level 1, each patient moves to Level 2 and then Level 3 for
12 weeks each.
- Each group has two trained instructors.
- Number of patients per group: ≤ 15.
- Sessions are interspersed within the patient's regular treatment mall classes
1. Are at lease 18 years of age; ≤ 65 years.
2. Are male or female
3. Are currently hospitalized at Manhattan Psychiatric Center and attend daily treatment
4. Are fluent in the language of the investigator, and study staff (including testing
administrators, group leaders and supervisors)
5. Have a documented current psychiatric diagnosis as obtained from patient's medical
charts and recorded by a qualified psychiatrist.
6. Recently admitted patients will be included if their clinical state permits it.
1. Are > 65 years of age;
2. Are currently enrolled in the Intensive Psychiatric Services (IPS) program at
Manhattan Psychiatric Center;