RATIONALE: Collecting information by questionnaire about the quality of life of patients
with head and neck cancer may help doctors learn more about the disease.
PURPOSE: This clinical trial is testing a questionnaire for assessing pain control, head and
neck symptoms, and general symptoms of illness, demographics, moods, alcohol and tobacco
history, and quality of life related to cancer in patients with newly diagnosed head and
- To pilot test a questionnaire measuring the collection of the following data from
patients with newly diagnosed head and neck cancer: head and neck cancer-related
symptoms, general demographics, pain control, general symptoms, mood, smoking and
drinking history, and quality of life.
- To identify questions that may be unclear or difficult for patients to understand.
- To determine the time required for each patient to complete the questionnaire and
assess the feasibility and burden to the patient.
- To determine the baseline incidence of symptoms and psychosocial issues in these
OUTLINE: Patients complete a timed questionnaire comprising questions of head and neck
symptoms, demographic information, pain control, symptom control, mood, smoking and drinking
history, and anxiety and depression under the supervision of the investigator.
- Diagnosis of head or neck carcinoma
- Newly diagnosed disease
- Able to speak English
- Able to give informed consent
PRIOR CONCURRENT THERAPY:
- Not specified