The study hypothesis is that an ultrasonic flow sensor can accurately measure flow in
The ultrasonic sensor will measure cerebro-spinal fluid drainage in hydrocephalus patients
with external ventriculostomies and extra-ventricular drainage systems. The sensor
measurements will be compared with the volume of fluid collected by the drainage bag.
After a 24-hour measurement period, the doctor will change the drainage bag position to
simulate the patient sitting up and leaning back, to see if this temporarily stops flow
through the drainage line.
This data will show whether the sensor accurately measures typical drainage flows seen in
hydrocephalus patients. This research will help develop an implantable flow monitor for
pediatric hydrocephalus patients.
- Age: newborn through age 20
- Diagnosed with Hydrocephalus
- Instrumented with an Extra-Ventricular Drainage Line
- Age: older than age 20
- Not diagnosed with Hydrocephalus
- Not instrumented with an Extra-Ventricular Drainage Line