This research study is looking at the effects of a whey protein nutritional supplement on
changes in muscle mass, strength and physical function in response to a 6 month program of
strength training exercise.
- Male and Females 70-85 yrs
- Community dwelling
- Short Physical Performance Battery score < 10
- BMI = 21-32.5
- Acute or terminal illness
- Mini Mental State Exam < 23
- Myocardial infarction in previous 6 months, symptomatic coronary artery disease, or
congestive heart failure
- Upper or lower extremity fracture in previous 6 months
- Uncontrolled hypertension (>150/90 mm Hg).
- Neuromuscular diseases and drugs which affect neuromuscular function.
- Hormone replacement therapy
- eGFR <30 mL/min/1.73m2
- Types I and II Diabetes Mellitus
- Dietary protein intake < 0.8 g.kg-1.day-1
- Disorders of nutrient absorption
- Milk, or whey allergy
- Sulfa drugs and allergy to PABA-containing sunscreens