The purpose of this study is to test the hypothesis that dietary n-3 PUFA will have a
beneficial effect on systemic and local markers of inflammation when combined with
traditional, non-surgical periodontal therapy.
1. ≥ 18 years of age, male or female
2. At least 20 natural teeth present at the time of periodontal examination
3. Be diagnosed with severe, chronic periodontitis;
4. Be willing to participate in the study
1. <18 years of age
2. Less than 20 natural teeth present at time of periodontal examination
3. Unable or unwilling to provide informed consent or follow study protocol
4. Systemic conditions including diabetes mellitus and any cardiovascular condition that
would require premedication prior to dental treatment
5. Use of systemic antibiotics within the last 3 months
6. Pregnancy as diagnosed by administered pregnancy test.
7. You are nursing a baby.
8. Are allergic to fish or fish products.
9. You are taking any other medications, such as dietary supplements, that could affect
the outcome of the study