The specific objectives of this project are to:
1. Investigate the effects of reducing TV viewing time on energy intake, eating behavior,
and energy expenditure in overweight or obese adult subjects, thus providing a basis
for evaluating if reducing TV viewing time might be a useful adjunct therapy in obesity
prevention and treatment
2. Analyze the types of foods eaten in conjunction with TV viewing
3. Determine if there is an association between location of TV and BMI.
- BMI between 25-50
- Watch at least 3 hours of TV per day or 21 hours per week.
- Between the ages of 21-65 years.
- Willing to have study staff enter home several times.
- Willing to have TV viewing time reduced.
- Live greater than 45 minutes from UVM campus.
- Enrolled in a weight loss study
- Pregnant or planning to become pregnant during active study protocol.
- Breastfeeding for 6 months or less.