The purpose of this study is to determine if there are signs of inflammation in one's blood
and urine and to find out if one's body size or ethnicity has an effect on these substances.
- Adolescents between 12 to 18 years old
- Hispanic, African American or Caucasian ethnicity
- Have a Body Mass Index (BMI) between the 5th and 85th percentile or greater than the
- Must currently be attending a UC Davis Pediatric clinic
- Chronic liver or kidney disease, known Diabetes or other chronic illnesses (such as
Sickle Cell Disease or Cystic Fibrosis)
- Subjects can NOT be acutely febrile, smoke, chronically use prescription medications
or oral contraceptive pills.
Lavjay Butani, M.D.
University of California, Davis
Phone: (916) 734-7222