To determine the safety and efficacy of azithromycin in the treatment of lung infection with
M.avium complex and M. abscessus lung disease.
- Meet American Thoracic Society criteria for nontuberculous lung disease: two or more
AFB smear positive, culture positive sputums or bronchoscopic samples and/or two or
more AFB smear negative respiratory samples with moderate to heavy growth (2+-4+);
abnormal CXR consistent with M. avium lung disease; abnormal CXR consistent with M.
avium lung disease; absence of other lung pathogens (except for the coexistence of M.
- Age 18 and older
- Pretreatment isolate of M. avium complex available for MIC determination
- History of macrolide allergy
- Received macrolide therapy in last two months
- Children less than 18 years of age
- If a menstruating female, not pregnant and on adequate birth control