To determine the safety and tolerance of clarithromycin given three times per week in
combination with multiple drugs including rifabutin three times per week
- Meet American Thoracic Society criteria for nontuberculous mycobacterial lung
disease: two or more AFB smear positive, culture positive sputums or bronchoscopic
samples and/or two or more AFB smear negative respiratory samples with moderate to
heavy growth (2+-4+); abnormal CXR consistent with M. avium lung disease; absence of
other potential mycobacterial or fungal lung pathogens (except for the coexistence of
- Adults age 18 and older
- Pretreatment isolate of M. avium complex available for MIC determination
- History of allergy to study drugs
- If a mensruating female, not pregnant and on adequate birth control.
- Children less than 18 years of age
- HIV + or at high risk for HIV infection.