People who do not have adequate amounts of vitamin D develop weakness of leg and arm
muscles. This study will determine if vitamin D supplementation benefits muscle functions
important for swallowing, bladder and bowel function.
- Patients who present for evaluation to the UW Geriatric clinic including Dr.
Pryzbelski's subspecialty, or Osteoporosis clinics
- Age 70 years or older
- Cognitively intact, as determined by the attending physicians at above mentioned
- History of, on ongoing, renal failure
- History of liver failure
- Known malabsorption
- Known disorders of parathyroid function, hyper/hypocalcemia, or other abnormalities
of calcium or phosphate metabolism
- Known history of vitamin D intoxication or granulomatous disease
- active seizure disorder
- Pain associated with temporomandibular joint (TMJ)