The primary purpose of this study is to determine if the administration of a higher dose
would decrease the chance of tumor recurrence, compared to the risk of tumor recurrence with
a lower dose. Most of the treatment will be given protons, but participants may receive a
small portion of treatment with x-rays, because less radiation is given to the skin with
x-rays. This study uses two slightly different doses of radiation It is not clear at this
time which of the dose levels is better.
- Participants will be assigned to a dose level by random chance, like flipping a coin.
- A treatment plan will be determined by a treatment planning CT scan and will either
involve 40-44 treatments or 37-40 treatments.
- Biopsy proven chordoma. Slides must be reviewed prior to randomization by the central
- Sites: Intercranial (sphenoid, clivus, petrous, basio-occiput) or cervical spine
- Boost target volume less than or equal to 150
- 18 years of age or older
- Karnofsky Performance Status > 50
- Neurologic Function of I or II
- No evidence of metastases
- Previous radiation to the head or neck that would compromise the ability to deliver
the prescribed treatment
- Concurrent or prior malignancy unless disease free for 5 or more years
- Evidence of metastatic disease
- Diabetes mellitus
- Major medical illness or psychiatric impairments that in the opinion of the
investigator, will prevent administration or completion of the protocol therapy