1. To compare the nerve stimulation vs. anatomic techniques of paravertebral block of T11-L1
in providing surgical anesthesia for patients undergoing inguinal hernia repair.
1. Compare VAS pain scores in the two groups of patients over the first 24 hours.
2. Compare opioid intake over the first 24 hours in the two groups of patients.
- Unilateral open inguinal herniorrhaphy
- Patient must be >18 years of age
- ASA physical status of I, II, or III
- Patient competent to provide informed consent
- Patient < 18 years of age
- Pregnant or lactating women
- Patient unwilling or unable to provide informed consent
- Contraindications to regional anesthesia
- Allergy to amide local anesthetics