We are proposing to evaluate the benefit of preoperative nutritional support with Impact
Advanced Recovery in the most vulnerable group of elective gastrointestinal surgery patients
who may experience a complication, esophagus and pancreas resections, and hypothesize that
oral supplementation with 3 servings (0.75 L) Impact Advanced Recovery will reduce
postoperative stay by 10-20% and reduce the incidence of major complications by 25%.
1. Male or female age 18 years or older of any race-ethnicity who will undergo an
elective esophagectomy or pancreaticoduodenectomy.
2. Surgery will be scheduled 5-7 days after consent date -
1. Surgery is urgent or emergent and/or patient would be unable to consume nutritional
supplement for 5-7 days
2. Patient is currently receiving enteral (tube) or parenteral (IV) nutritional support
3. Patients with known pre-existing renal failure requiring a low protein diet
4. Patient is unable to drink 3 servings/day of a liquid supplement -