Prospective, two academic center, non-randomized pilot, acute in-patient study correlating
pre-operative imaging studies, intra-operative measurements and intra-operative balloon
aortic valvuloplasty (BAV) in patients with degenerative aortic stenosis undergoing surgical
aortic valve replacement (SAVR) to understand the requirements (device size and radial
strength) of emerging percutaneous heart valve technologies in the treatment of aortic
- Age 18 years or older
- Any patient with severe, symptomatic calcific aortic stenosis (AS) referred for
elective surgical aortic valve replacement.
- Severe AS: aortic valve area (AVA) ≤ 1.0 cm2
- Symptoms: dyspnea on exertion, heart failure, angina or syncope believed to be
secondary to AS
- Emergent surgical aortic valve replacement.
- Inability to undergo TTE or TEE intra-operatively.
- Currently participating in another study that has not completed the primary endpoint
or that clinically interferes with the current study endpoints.