First clinical evaluation of "Smart Anemia Manager" algorithm.
The purpose of this single-center study is to test whether "Smart Anemia Manager" algorithm
improves Hemoglobin stability compared to standard Anemia Management Protocol. Study site:
Kidney Disease Program dialysis facility, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY.
1. ages 18 to 80,
2. receiving dialysis treatment,
3. receiving or expected to receive ESA treatment,
4. adequacy of dialysis Kt/V >= 1.2,
5. adequate iron stores (Ferritin > 200 ng/mL, TSat > 20%).
1. life expectancy less than 12 months,
2. frequent uncontrolled blood loss,
3. frequent dialyzer clotting,
4. frequent access related problems,
5. active infections,
6. severe cardiac disability,
7. coronary bypass within three months prior to the study
8. documented resistance to ESA
9. bone marrow suppression due to HIV, leukemia, or pharmacologic agents.