The primary aim of the project is to examine the efficacy of the Psychiatric Rehabilitation
Weight Loss program in reduction of weight and body mass index (BMI.
The study involves 144 individuals who will be randomly assigned to the intervention group
or treatment as usual group(control group). All Participants will undergo baseline
assessment, assessment at week 12, week 24 and in year from baseline.
- A diagnosis of serious mental illness,
- Age 18 - 65
- BMI > 25
- Medication stable (there have been no changes in antipsychotic medications or mood
stabilizers for the last 3 months).
- Current or history of eating disorder
- Pregnant or breast feeding
- Uncontrolled HTN
- Severe coronary artery disease
- Severe valvular disease
- Uncontrolled diabetes
- Sustained arrhythmia
- Insulin using severe physical limitations
- Severe Lung Disorders
- Diagnosis of MR or dementia
Edna Hamera, PhD, RN, CS
University of Kansas