This clinical trial will compare 10 week treatment with acamprosate (2 gr/day) versus
placebo, combined with weekly abstinence oriented individual counseling, in methamphetamine
dependent patients, 72 subjects will be enrolled, with an interim analysis scheduled after
36 enrolled. Primary outcome is methamphetamine absitience over the 10 week treatment
period, and the last 2 weeks of treatment. Abstinence is defined on a weekly basis as no
urine positive of methamphetamine (or amphetamine) and self-report of not use for the 7 day
period. Secondary measures include treatment retention, drug craving, mood, and safety.
- Methamphetamine dependence
- Treatment seeking
- Urine sample (+) for methamphetamine
- Dependence on other drugs (except nicotine)
- DSM-IV axis I disorder unrelated to drug abuse
- Serious medical condition in clinicians opinion.
- Untreated syphilis
- Allergy to acamprosate
- Methadone, or other ORP, maintenance