We propose to establish a database characterizing the presence or absence of comorbid PTSD
in veterans with schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder (SAD) receiving services at the
Durham VA Medical Center. In addition to the evaluation of PTSD symptoms in veterans with
schizophrenia or SAD, this database will facilitate the investigation of a number of
additional specific research questions relevant to veterans with psychotic disorders.
1. 18-72 years of age, any ethnic group, either sex.
2. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual, Fourth Edition (DSM-IV) diagnosis of schizophrenia
or schizoaffective disorder.
3. Ability to fully participate in the informed consent process, or have a legal
guardian able to participate in the informed consent process.
1. Unstable current medical or neurological illness.
2. Significant suicidal or homicidal ideation.
3. Pregnant women or women who could be pregnant.