The purpose of this study is to determine whether the hormone dynamics in women with
anorexia nervosa and hypothalamic amenorrhea is related to bone loss in those populations.
- Amenorrhea for at least three months (unless participating as healthy control)
- Normal TSH or free thyroxine (free T4).
- A condition known to affect bone metabolism, including Cushing's syndrome or renal
failure, with the exception of bone fracture.
- Any medication known to affect bone metabolism within 3 months of the study,
including estrogen and progestins. Patients receiving depot medroxyprogesterone
(Depo-Provera) will be excluded from participating for 6 months after their last
- Pregnant and/or breastfeeding.
- Diabetes mellitus.
- Active substance abuse, including alcohol.