This is a ten subject, phase 1 study. The purpose of the Phase 1 study is to demonstrate
drug safety in a target group of subjects with high grade brain cancer. This population
represents a potential clinical population that may benefit from this PET imaging tracer.
The study will also begin collection of baseline imaging data and allow us to gain
information to improve design and conduct of future trials.
This is a ten subject, phase 1 study. The purpose of the study is to demonstrate drug safety
in a group with high grade brain tumors and to evaluate cell proliferation with F-18 FLT.
FLT is known to clear out of normal brain and detect brain tumor. This population represents
a potential clinical population that may benefit from this PET imaging tracer. This
information will help improve the design and conduct of future F-18 FLT clinical trials.
- Subject may be male or female and of any race / ethnicity;
- At the time of study drug dosing, the subject has reached his or her 18th birthday;
- Subject has histologic diagnosis of one of the following malignancies - glioblastoma
gliosarcoma, anaplastic mixed/anaplastic oligodendroglioma or (anaplastic)
astrocytoma with lesion visible on CT or MR and minimum histological grade of III/IV;
- Subject with suspect radiation necrosis that are planned for re-section;
- Subject or subject's legally acceptable representative provides informed consent;
- Subject is capable of complying with study procedures and able to lie still in the
- Subject is capable of communicating with study personnel;
- Subject has adequate liver and kidney function
- Subject is pregnant or nursing;
- Subject is anemic (as defined as a hemoglobin level <10);
- Subject has not received chemotherapy or radiation therapy within the two weeks prior
- Subject has as reflected by a serum liver enzymes outside the normal laboratory
- Subject has a history of chronic liver disease, which may compromise liver function;
- Subject has kidney disease as reflected by a serum creatinine outside the normal
laboratory reference range;
- Subject has prior history of stroke or other condition of the head or neck that, in
the investigator's opinion, might affect circulation to the brain or image
interpretation (examples include, but are not limited to, previous stroke with cystic
softening and cerebral deformity, or arteriovenous malformation);
- Subject has a history of significant cerebrovascular disease;
- Subject has any other condition or personal circumstance that, in the judgment of the
investigator, might interfere with the collection of complete good quality data
- Subject has previously received [F-18]FLT at any time, or any other investigational
product within the past two weeks.
Charles M Intenzo, MD
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, 132 S 10th St Phila, PA 19107