The purpose of the study is to evaluate the feasibility of a rapid HIV testing program in
the Temple University Hospital(TUH)Emergency Department. We hypothesize that a rapid HIV
testing program in the TUH Emergency Department is feasible. Patients presenting to the
Adult TUH Emergency Department with certain conditions will be offered rapid HIV testing.
Testing will be performed by oral swab using the OraQuick Advance test. Patients will
receive post-test counseling.
One of the following conditions:
- Sexually transmitted disease evaluation or prior history of sexually transmitted
- Clinical condition that suggests possible immunodeficiency
- History of illicit drug use
- History of chronic viral hepatitis
- Patients with unexplained pneumonia or recurrent pneumonia
- Male patients who have a history of sex with men
- Abdominal pain in a sexually active woman or urethritis in a man
- Age 18 years old or older.
- Age less than 18 years.
- None of the above conditions.