The purpose of the trial is to compare whether Macugen (pegaptanib sodium) in combination
with PDT with Visudyne (verteporfin) is safe and effective in slowing down the leakage of
fluid within the eye and thereby stabilizing or improving vision when compared to Macugen
alone. Patients must be recently diagnosed with predominantly classic wet AMD and must be
eligible for PDT.
- Subjects of either gender; aged 50 years or greater.
- Subfoveal choroidal neovascularization (CNV) due to AMD with predominantly classic
- Best corrected visual acuity in the study eye between 20/40 and 20/200
- Any prior PDT with Visudyne to the study eye
- Any previous AMD thermal laser therapy to the study eye