The purpose of this study is to determine if Atorvastatin can improve blood vessel stiffness
and blood vessel function in children 10-18 years old with Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes.
Subjects will receive atorvastatin 20mg or placebo daily for 3 months and will then switch
therapies for the next 3 months.
Hypothesis: Atorvastatin will improve blood vessel function by decreasing arterial stiffness
and improving blood flow.
- Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus (T1DM) or Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus (T2DM) for more than 1
- Age 10-18 years.
- Cardiovascular disease (CVD)
- Liver disease
- Use of cholesterol or triglyceride lowering drugs
- Perceived inability to comply with the study protocol
- Endocrinopathy other than diabetes