The purposes of this study are to determine whether pemetrexed can help patients with
metastatic (cancer that has spread to other parts of the body) breast cancer, to determine
any side effects that may be associated with the drug, to determine how much pemetrexed
should be given to patients, and to collect DNA for future research regarding metastatic
breast cancer. The collection of DNA is optional to the patient.
- Must have been diagnosed with either advanced or metastatic breast cancer.
- Chemotherapy has not been given for advanced or metastatic breast cancer.
- The diagnosis of advanced or metastatic breast cancer was made at least 12 months
after chemotherapy was given after breast surgery.
- Able to carry out work of a light nature (for example, light housework, office work).
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Have received prior bone marrow or peripheral stem cell transplantation.
- Have received prior chemotherapy for metastatic breast cancer.
- Are currently pregnant or breast-feeding.
- Have an active infection that your doctor decides will affect your safety.
- Are unable to take folic acid or vitamin B12.