The purposes of this study are to determine:
- The safety of duloxetine and any side effects that might be associated with it.
- How duloxetine compares to escitalopram and placebo (an inactive ingredient)
duloxetine 60mg - 120mg, escitalopram 10mg - 20mg, and placebo, 8-month,
- Must be at least 18 of age
- Must meet the criteria for major depressive disorder
- You must be able to visit the doctor's office about once a week for 2 to 3 months.
After that, you will need to visit the doctor's office once a month for about 6
- You must be able to take the study drug as prescribed (6 capsules per day taken
- You are a woman and are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- You have a current or previous major psychiatric disorder other than depression, such
as bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, or other psychotic disorder.
- You have a history of alcohol or drug dependence within the past 6 months