The purpose of this study is to determine whether a mindfulness meditation-based stress
reduction program is useful in relieving symptoms associated with rheumatoid arthritis (RA).
- Confirmed diagnosis of RA, with doctor's letter or doctors' bill with ICD code 714;
- 18 years of age or older;
- Able to read and write English;
- Able to attend 15 course sessions and questionnaire sessions at Kernan Hospital in
- Willing to practice skills for 45 minutes to 1 hour per day, 6 days a week;
- Stable on rheumatoid medications for at least one month.
- Major psychiatric illness (bipolar disorder, multiple personality disorder, etc.);
- Active alcoholism or drug dependency;
- Scheduled for major surgery during the study period;
- Enrolled in randomized clinical trial for rheumatoid arthritis during the study
- Planning to move out of the area in the next 12 months;
- Unwilling to be enrolled in a control group;
- Use of assistive device other than a cane;
- Serious health condition(s) that the investigator determines would make it difficult
to complete the 6 month study;
- Diagnosis of fibromyalgia.